This Learning Center includes a wide array of educational materials and links to other useful resources to help you learn how to reduce the wildfire threat to your family, home and community. Most of the materials were prepared by University of Nevada Cooperative Extension faculty and have been peer reviewed to ensure relevance and accuracy. Topics range from pre-fire activities such as creating defensible space, to advice on safe evacuation practices, to what to do when returning home after a wildfire. These materials are available in written, interactive and video formats, with some available in Spanish, allowing you to use the format that works best for you.
We invite you to view these publications online, download and print or contact us to request a free copy. When available, some of these publications are available in large quantities. Contact us for more information.
- Backyard Native Plants
- Choosing the Right Plants for Northern Nevada’s High Fire Hazard Areas – Lake Tahoe Basin *NEW VERSION specific to the Lake Tahoe Basin*
- Good Plant Choices for Nevada’s High Fire Hazard Areas
- Home Landscaping Guide for Lake Tahoe and Vicinity
- The Combustibility of Landscape Mulches
- Living with Fire: A Guide for the Homeowner – Lake Tahoe Basin
This publication can be customized for your area – Contact us to request the master files.
The following organizations provide resources on wildfire threat reduction, wildfires or other related topics. Links on this page are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement of the content, products or services by Living With Fire or University of Nevada Cooperative Extension. We hope you find them helpful.
- American Red Cross
- eXtension Wildfire Information Network
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Firewise USA
- GEOMAC Wildland Fire Support
- National Fire Protection Association
- National Interagency Fire Center
- National Weather Service Fire Weather Information
- US Fire Administration
- USDA Forest Service-Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit
- Burbank Fire 2011 – Homeowner discusses the effectiveness of wildland fuel reduction
- Caughlin Fire 2011 – Homeowner discusses how burning embers ignited his home
- Caughlin Fire 2011 – Homeowner’s perspective on being prepared for wildfire
- Caughlin Fire 2011 – Homeowner shows how defensible space helped save her home
- Caughlin Fire 2011 – Firefighter’s perspective on the impact of burning embers during the fire.
- Caughlin Fire 2011 – Homeowner shares her family’s difficult evacuation experience
- Caughlin Fire 2011 – Childrens’ response to the fire
- Caughlin Fire 2011 – Homeowners describe their experience with animal evacuation
- Washoe Drive Fire 2012 – Firefighter describes his experience fighting the fire
- Washoe Drive Fire 2012 – Battalion Chief talks about fire behavior